During the Energy Forum that took place in 2015, visitors will be informed on how a typical American family utilizes at least 300 gallons of water on a daily basis. Rarely people think about the water that drips down the drain when cleaning dishes. The daily usage of water is significantly high in many modern homes, which translates to high energy and water bills every month. Even the US Environmental Protection Agency has been releasing statistical data on water usage showing that households are among the most consumers of water.
Even though there is plenty of water on the earth’s surface, scientists have consistently considered it a non-renewable resource. Approximately 97% of water on the surface is salty, frozen in polar regions, or very expensive to avail in homes. The remaining 3% is highly demanded in homes, institutions, and businesses. That is why a report created after the energy forum indicated that water shortage is anticipated to increase globally in the next one or two decades.
It is due to this background we need to understand better ways of minimizing the wastage of water in our homes. As smart homes continue to be essential to many people, it is advisable to have low flow fixtures installed. For instance, older kitchen faucets do not meet the modern water efficiency standards outlined by the Environmental Protection Agency programs. The WaterSense is the counterpart of the Energy Star, which are the two major programs of the Environmental Protection Agency. The program proposes the use of products that guarantee less water usage as opposed to using the outdated fixtures.
All the water efficiency products bear a WaterSense label, though some homeowners may not be comfortable to incur the costs of purchasing them. For that reason, there are also high-efficiency aerators that can be installed on kitchen faucets and save at least one gallon per minute.
Kitchen Faucets for Water Efficiency
A good kitchen faucet will not only help in saving water but also make cooking the right center-piece in your home. However, the choice of the faucet should match with the style and scheme of the kitchen, as well as be fully-bodied to handle anything you will throw at it. It should be functional with a broad angle head and extendable hose capable of reaching all corners of the sink. Most of the top-rated models feature 1.8GPM, meaning they are economical compared to older ones.
Additionally, home-improvement experts recommend the ceramic faucets because they are drip-free and their heads come with excellent pot fillers for a perfect washing experience. During the earlier said energy forum, some homeowners expressed concerns about the height of their kitchen faucets. Therefore, it is vital to understand that some models may appear too big while others lack sufficient space underneath for filling the pans and pots appropriately. Due to this matter, you may need to have a faucet with a high arch spout and adequate space to allow the user to maneuver easily below it. Some of the modern models have heads that can rotate 360 degrees, as well as featuring 1.8 GPM for water consumption. This ensures that your water bill will remain low in the long run. Some of the best models incorporate various features such as Masterclean Sprayface for a perfect cleaning experience. Another exclusive feature is the DockNetik, which entails a magnetic rim that allows the unit’s head to reattach once you have finished using it.
Saving Water in the Kitchen
The amount of water used in the kitchen is too way much compared to other places in your house. You want to wash your vegetables and fruits or soak dirty utensils. Most people fill their sinks with soapy water before washing the dishes. All these processes are essential for keeping hygiene and safety in the kitchen, but there is a need to consider switching up the washing routine. Therefore, take note of the following tips to save water in your kitchen.
First, always scrape food remains into the trash and load the dishes into the dishwasher. You will be saving more than 20 gallons of water, and the dishes will still be sparkling clean.
Second, it is important to let your dishwasher do the job. Washing with hands wastes a lot of water because more than 10 gallons go down the drain unused. Using a high-quality garbage disposal unit can help you with this.
Third, you will save more water by washing many dishes at once. Remember, a dishwasher will consume an equal amount of water when washing 4 plates or 15 plates.
Fourth, it will be better to plug the sink when washing utensils that cannot be put in the dishwasher. You fill the sink with enough water, perhaps half-way, and wash your items and then rinse all of them at once.
Lastly, many homeowners run frozen meat in hot water to defrost it out. To avoid wasting water, leave the frozen meat in the refrigerator ahead of meals. Instead, you can also use a microwave to melt it for a last minute meal.